How is breast milk stored?
Breast milk is the most useful food source for your baby, and it is a unique blessing to alleviate your baby's emotional hunger.
The benefits it provides to your baby are not limited to counting. Sometimes mothers may have to express their milk for some reason. Mothers who cannot be with their baby for a while, especially working mothers milking method Uses.
It may also be needed in conditions such as disease, nipple problem, excessive milk production and mastitis. For premature babies, milking is performed in order not to interrupt breast milk intake during the treatment process.For these reasons, you are milking in order to continue breastmilk, the healthiest food for your baby.
You are milking; but you have no idea how to hide it. Then milk storage Before talking about the conditions, let's briefly explain how breast milk is expressed.
What should be considered while breastfeeding?
Breast milk can be made by hand, hand pump or by milking machines.
- If you are milking by hand first, make sure that your hand is thoroughly clean. If you are milking with the machine, make sure that all the apparatus of the machine and all the containers you will use after milking are sterilized. To sterilize5-10 minutes in boiled water containers.
- If you use a special bag to store breast milk, you do not need to wash it. These breast milk products are produced in accordance with hygiene rules for storage.
- When you first express breast milk very little milk you will notice; because breasts are accustomed to the way the baby suckles and strangers can milk you; but within a few days he gets used to milking conditions. Especially first milk called colostrum 1 teaspoon of milk when you try to milk you will see difficult; But make sure your newborn baby is saturated with so little milk and will take the necessary nutrients. After the colostrum, your milk will multiply and you will milk more easily!
- When milking by hand, do not try to milk by squeezing the nipple to avoid causing irritation to the nipple. By placing your hand where the black part of your C-shaped breast ends, lightly pressing your chest, you can milk the head and the other two fingers together. Prior to your breast give a light massage You can activate the milk channels.
- If you are working, it is a good idea to save your milk before you start working. In this way, when you can not milk or milk is not enough to stress.
How is breast milk stored? You can watch our video.
How is breast milk stored?
After milking milk storage conditions how should it be?
- You must first decide what you want to keep the milk you are expressing, keeping in mind the hygiene rules. If there is no space in your freezer, you can keep your milk with specially designed ziplock bags for storing breast milk. These sachets are safe to store food BPA and BPS-free polyethylene It is produced. If there is space in your freezer, you can only use glass containers for storing breastmilk or hard plastic containers that do not contain BPA and BPS. Click for breast milk storage bag and container.
- Are you going to give your baby the milk you are expressing, or do you want to keep it for a long time?
The storage conditions of breast milk published by the Ministry of Health in the article no. 5258 on 03.05.2012 are as follows:
Room temperature (19-26 ºC) - 3 hours
Refrigerated (<4 ºC) - 3 Days
In the freezer (-18 ºC) - 3 Months
Complying with these conditions is important for your baby's health. Recommended, as soon as possible out of the refrigerator It is put.
In addition, the longer milk waits, the less germs protection. This also applies to milk standing in the refrigerator or freezer.
- After putting the milk in the bag or container date and time write. Usually there is an area where you can write on the bags. You can label if you use a container. If your baby is in a nursery or hospital, if you use a shared refrigerator or nurse at work, baby's name Do not forget to write.
- If you fill the whole container at one time and when you dissolve your baby can not drink it all, your milk will be wasted. So you can adjust the amount of milk your baby is receiving. Milk storage bag If you use it, always add the amount of milk to the label; because you don't know how much milk you freeze when you put the bags in a slant position to save space from the freezer.
In general, infants drink up to 60-120 milliliters of milk. You can avoid wasting by putting milk in these quantities.
- Also, do not fully fill the milk storage bag or container. Breast milk expands when frozen and causes overflow.
- Milk, breast milk storage bags After putting into the bag, remove the air in the bag with the help of your fingers and put it in the refrigerator lying down. This takes up less space and is easier to dissolve.
- Store your milk near the wall, not inside the refrigerator door. As the air flow will be less there, the chance of your milk deteriorating also decreases.
- If you have milked your milk at different times and your previous milk is in the refrigerator, you can bring the two milk to the same coldness and add them together. In this way, you can mix the milk you drink during the day and make your baby drink or freeze.
- If you are a working mother and don't have a refrigerator at work, mother milk You can use cold gel compress to place into thermos bag.
- If you use a breast shield, you cannot give your baby the milk accumulated in the perforated breast shield because it comes into contact with air. You can collect the milk accumulated in the closed breast shield by adding to each other. Don't forget to add the milk to the same cold as above.
How can you use frozen breast milk and what should you pay attention to?
You have fulfilled all the conditions for breastfeeding and now it is time for you to use them for your baby. Here are some things to consider when using frozen breastmilk;
- First of all, if you keep your milk in the refrigerator within 24 hours, you can give it to your baby by heating it in running hot water or in a container full of hot water. You can also use a bottle warmer. It is not necessary to heat the milk. Some babies may like cold milk. So you can easily give the milk to your baby at room temperature.
- Thaw how much milk your baby needs. Once thawed milk should be consumed within 24 hours. Otherwise you will have to pour the remaining milk. For the reason we mentioned above, you may not need extra heating after thawing your milk, you can give it to your baby at room temperature.
- To dissolve the milk or in a bowl full of cold water 10-15 minutes soak or thaw by holding in cold water under the tap. You will already see that your milk is easily thawed.
- Never use a microwave oven to dissolve, soak in hot water or boil. This causes all the beneficial nutrients in your milk to die.
- Each milk you express is different; because your breasts produce milk according to the needs of your baby during those hours. You can also change the taste of milk. The smell or color of milk you thawed may seem strange for this reason. If the smell is really uncomfortable, never give it to your baby.
- If the power fails, be sure to check your milk in the freezer. In this case, your milk can wait up to 1 day.
Regardless of the circumstances, it is very important that your baby gets breast milk. Milk storage When done with the right methods, your baby can safely drink your milk even when you are away.