Children with hyperactivity have low success in school, despite their normal intelligence, due to excessive mobility and lack of attention. Moreover, they do not protect themselves from serious accidents and therefore face serious life-threatening risks.
Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Specialist at Acıbadem Maslak Hospital Arzu Önal, according to a study conducted in 2009, mothers of hyperactive children often suffer from depression, musculoskeletal pain and anxiety disorders, such as reported that they spend more. Another study found a relationship between “Attention Deficit and Hyperactivity Disorder” (ADHD) and depression, anxiety and emotional problems in the mother.
In addition, it was found that mothers who did not want to use medication for their child applied to child mental health specialists 13 times more. It is argued that 1.2% of mothers with ADHD have at least one mental health problem. In 2020, the rate of depression among women will rise to shake the world, so mothers need to take care of themselves.
LISTEN TO YOUR DOCTOR
Arzu Önal Gökalp stated that this condition can be cured in early childhood.
* According to the information obtained from the parents, teachers and other sources, after the diagnosis becomes clear, the parents of the child with ADHD should be informed about what they can do about the child's problems at home.
* This situation is a discomfort and talk about the causes of information is aimed to have. After transferring what can be done at home and at school, it is decided whether or not drug treatment will be given.
* Although there is no problem in his intelligence, drug treatment is the first choice in children who have low school performance or who are frequently injured due to excessive mobility or even have serious life-threatening conditions.
* The family should be explained in detail due to the fears experienced by the families. Like all other medicines, the medications we use for ADHD have side effects.
* Many side effects are reversible and can be controlled by dose adjustment.
* Serious problems that may occur in children who are at risk of side effects (for example, in children with some disorders in their families) before the start of medication can be eliminated to a great extent.
* Many articles are published on the websites about the use of drugs against Attention Deficit and Hyperactivity Disorder. Families are able to obtain true-false information from many sites, especially those whose source is not known on the Internet. It is more accurate to rely on a doctor.
WHICH CHILDREN DRUG IS 100 PERCENTAGE?
If we examine the disorder separately as attention and mobility; if a child does not pay enough attention to protect himself and therefore serious accidents happen to him or if the course success is not commensurate with his academic achievement, drug treatment becomes important. If he cannot stay in place due to mobility, he easily puts himself in danger without thinking about the end, and he has had cheap survivable accidents over and over again, medicine is of vital importance. Significant behavioral problems may also occur if the drug is not used.
THE ROLE OF GENETICS SHOWED IN EXPERIMENTS
There was no reason to describe all or part of ADHD. But the role of biological and environmental factors has always been underlined. In recent years, the curiosity about the causes of ADHD has increased. ADHD is, of course, a familial disorder and has a genetic side. Genetic role is emphasized by animal experiments. Abnormalities have been detected in prefrontal and basal ganglion regions of the brain. In many studies, it has been found that the function of blood flow or glucose (sugar) metabolism decreases in the brain area called frontal lobe, especially in the prefrontal cortex region. Brain imaging studies are still continuing.
POSSIBLE TO CONTROL THE SIDE EFFECTS OF DRUGS
There are two groups of drugs used in the treatment of ADHD. Psychostimulants (methylphenidate derivatives, amphetamine derivatives) and antidepressants (atomoxetine, imipramine). These drugs should be used regularly under the supervision of a doctor. Side effects can be controlled with slow dose titration and close monitoring. The main side effects are anorexia, abdominal pain, headache, palpitations, nausea, insomnia, rashes. It is similar to what is written in many drug leaflets. The most feared side effect is addiction. It is stated in many studies that it is not addictive in children. Parental training, academic organization training, cognitive behavioral methods, therapy and social skills training can also be used. However, the success rate of these methods alone is low. When used together with the drug, its effects increase.